Soothing CBD Serums Benefit Skin
Courtesy of Skin Serum Universe
There's a good chance you've been hearing more about serums lately. They’re marketed as addressing everything from skin damage and wrinkles, to protecting skin from the sun’s rays. It’s exciting to know science is pushing the boundaries of how we can take better care of our skin. but what exactly is a serum?
Moisturizers are primarily intended to do exactly that, hydrate the skin and lock in moisture. Though quite a few of these products serve multiple purposes including, but not limited to, sunscreen, aging, and damage.
Serums, on the other hand, are often lighter than moisturizers and are better formulated to penetrate the cells of our skin. They’re also fortified with vitamins, nutrients and/or antioxidants (such as cannabidiol or CBD) making them more likely to be beneficial for our health.
Now that CBD has been added into the equation - especially with the legalization of hemp, new research, and increasing methods of application are collectively bringing about a wealth of new products, including serums, that are completely changing the face of skin care as we know it.
CBD & Skin
So you might be wondering, what makes CBD so special, especially when it's applied to the skin? Here’s a quick breakdown of what we know so far about the benefits of CBD when used topically:
- Antioxidants: since 1999, the U.S Government has owned Patent 6,630,507 that expressly pertains to the “antioxidant and neuroprotective” qualities of cannabinoids. So it’s safe to say that science has found evidence of CBD’s benefits as an antioxidant. In fact, the same scientists listed on the patent above found that cannabis is an antioxidant superior to Vitamin C and E (more here). Just as the “entourage effect” is inherent in cannabinoids, it also applies to antioxidants - they’re most effective when working together, not alone. So be sure to seek out serums that contain both CBD and other antioxidants.
- Anti-Inflammatory: the introduction of cannabinoids to the skin have been found to positively interact with the endocannabinoid system of the body. CB1 receptors, predominantly found in the brain, and CB2 receptors, more often found in cells of the immune system, enable cannabinoids to work as anti-inflammatory agents. Having this quality enables CBD to be used for a myriad of applications, as we’ll discuss in the following section.
- Nutrients: being rich in protein, hemp contains twenty amino acids, nine of which aren’t naturally created by the body. Full spectrum CBD is also rich in Omega-3,-6, and -9 fatty acids, making it ideal for enhancing hair growth. And as we mentioned earlier, CBD is abundant in not only in Vitamin C, and E, but also Vitamin A.
CBD Serum Applications
What really sets serums apart, as a topical application for CBD, is the wide range of uses. While we always recommend any use of CBD to be accompanied by consultation with one’s doctor first, there is something to be said for the latest studies and information now being disseminated as a result of scientific research. Here are some of the ways CBD is being applied topically with serums:
- Joint Pain/Arthritis: while research involving the treatment of Arthritis has been limited to those done on rats, each study has shown a reduction of inflammation and pain, with no evident side effects. CBD is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, thus it’s an ideal way to topically administer pain relief for joints and muscles.
- Facial Treatment/Wrinkles: use of CBD in topical form has been shown to reduce the impact of free-radicals which can cause the breakdown of collagen within the skin. Thus, CBD serums can assist with smoothing out wrinkles, as well as calming and soothing the skin.
- Acne: according to Dr. Alissia Zenhausern, NMD, “acne is an inflammatory condition related to overworked sebaceous-gland production states. Promising new research states that CBD can help reduce the production of sebum, which means CBD could become a future treatment for acne, particularly acne vulgaris, the most common form of acne associated with overproduction of sebum."
- Skin Conditions: beyond acne vulgaris, a number of other skin conditions may be effectively addressed with cannabidiol including contact and atopic dermatitis (eczema), rosacea, psoriasis, chronic pruritus, and basal cell carcinoma.
Relief CBD Serums
Considering all these exciting developments, we at Relief CBD are focused on providing industry leading cannabidiol based products that provide relief in all its forms. Our custom crafted line of 3 different serums are composed of all-natural ingredients, supplemented with vitamin E and other essential oils, all made in the USA:
- Pain Relief - CBD blended with anti-inflammatory Frankincense and Myrrh oils will bring dynamic pain relief to any area it’s needed.
- Sunburn - provides quick relief in repairing skin cells. Features reconstructing essential oils such as Eucalyptus and Lavender.
- Anti-Itch - Tea Tree and Eucalyptus oils infused with CBD will bring rapid relief to any type of irritation, such as bug bites or poison ivy.
Learn more about all three serums via our webstore.